Ministry of Tourism and Aviation
The Ministry of Tourism and Aviation was established on 10thDecember 2019 under the extraordinary gazette No. 2153/12. Among the main objectives of the establishment of a dedicated Ministry in charge of the tourism and Aviation sectors are making available an appropriate policy and regulatory framework, ensure robust infrastructure development and Aviation, promotion of destination Sri Lanka and exercise administrative and financial overview over institutions Gazetted under the Ministry.test
To be recognized as the world’s finest island for memorable, authentic and diverse experiences.
To be a high- value destination offering extraordinary experiences that reflect Sri Lanka’s natural and cultural heritage are socially inclusive and environmentally responsible and provide economic benefits to Communities and the country.
Duties and Functions (Extraordinary Gazette No. 2153/12 - TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2019)
1. Formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies, programmes and projects; in relation to the subject of tourism and civil aviation and the subjects of the departments and statutory institutions.
2. Develop tourism industry and high standards in line with the national policy of promoting Sri Lanka’s image.
3. Registration and regulation of tourist agencies
4. Promote internationally recognized hotel facilities, aviation and sea travel facilities to provide tourist resorts and entertainment facilities as a unique tourist island, highlighting Sri Lanka’s biodiversity, heritage, environment, climate diversity and oceanic resources.
5. Developing and regulating International & Domestic Airports
6. Regulating progress, levy of charges and quality of delivery of services by airports
7. Conclusion of agreements with other countries for expansion of international air services and adoption of other requisite measures.
8. Promotion and execution of regulatory functions in relation to use of airports in Sri Lanka by foreign countries.
9. Promoting domestic air travel
10. Supervising and regulating private air services
11. Registration of Aircraft
12. Supervising all Institutions referred to in Column II and matters relating to all subjects assigned to such Institutions.